ORBITZ / AMERICAN AIRLINES round trip ticket SCAM BEWARE!!

161 of 254 Orbitz Reviews
Issue not resolved
Apr 15, 2012
review #312302

ORBITZ / AMERICAN AIRLINES round trip ticket SCAM BEWARE!! I purchased a round trip ticket from DBQ to ELP then ELP back to DBQ for $400. Shortly after purchasing the ticket plans changed and I needed an earlier departure time from DBQ to ELP. I called both Orbitz and American Airlines about changing the first flight to an earlier time. It cost more to change the "roundtrip ticket" flight to an earlier time than the total cost of the roundtrip ticket! I could buy a one-way ticket from DBQ to ELP (on the earlier flight I wanted) for $200 or pay ORBITZ/ AMERICAN AIRLINES another $450 to change the round trip ticket. I purchased the $200 one-way ticket.

This morning when arriving at the airport for the return flight (part of the original round trip ticket) I find that the ticket had been canceled. Why? Because the first ticket flying to ELP had not been used??? After speaking to both Orbitz and American Airlines, my only choice for flying back to DBQ today…. Buy a new ticket. Although I had booked and paid for a ticket already!!

So if you buy a roundtrip ticket from ORBITZ/AMERICAN AIRLINES and you want to change a portion of the flight. They will charge you significantly more than the original ticket to change the flight. However if you do not use all flights on the original ticket they will cancel the rest of the flight making them unusable. Therefore the "smart" choice is to book a "whole" new ticket instead of using the existing ticket. This allows them to "resale" the original seat, basically charging twice for one seat!

Total cost to fly from DBQ to ELP $1200! Wow what a SCAM.

c0ecaa6
Had an experience with Orbitz?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
161 of 254 Orbitz Reviews

Nov 29, 2012

airline fares are dynamic. It keep changing from time to time depending on availability. The more limited seats available the more fares gets higher and that changes even in seconds. Airline industry is a very dynamic one. Everytime you buy a ticket, it always has a unique fare rules attached to it. It's not going to be the same as the rest of the tickets you have purchased. If you have concerns, you can seek help or try asking questions to a travel expert so you would understand how this airline world works.

Apr 06, 2013

READ,READ,READ THE POLICY OF YOUR RESERVATION BEFORE YOU BOOK!

:? Actually the thing thats why you got an expensive change fee, that is because the policy of your reservation, travel agent on Orbitz always provide the cancellation policy and change policy before they charge your card. And if your going to book that by yourself before you click the AGREE AND BOOK please read first the TRIP POLICY after you put your CREDIT/DEBIT CARD INFORMATION. The usual policy for the MAKING CHANGES is IF YOUR GOING TO CHANGE YOUR RESERVATION IT WOULD TAKE YOU 150-200 for the Domestic Flight/250-300 for international flight, PLUS the FLIGHT DIFFERENCE on your NEW and EXISTING reservation and PLUS a $30 charge of ORBITZ.

shye

Jun 18, 2012

I bought a ticket from orbitz, My business told me I had to take my vacay late because the person replacing me had an emergency. just to change the ticket to a later date. NY to germany at 1060 I have to pay 300 dollars! not only that the customer service was horrible!!!!! they could not explain anything, they were totally incompetent and I could not understand a thing under their thick spanish accent! orbitz. dont send me and email about how I should contact you unless you will alleviate this situation smh

Apr 06, 2013

READ,READ,READ THE POLICY OF YOUR RESERVATION BEFORE YOU BOOK!

Eddie

Apr 19, 2012

I guess that is what to expect when buying airline tickes from a chewing gum company. Maybe try the airport next time.

Apr 06, 2013

ill tell you that its much expensive to book a ticket directly to the airline, since all of the travel agency websites buy a bulk ticket through the airline and sell it on a lower price. :)

Love Orbitz!

Apr 19, 2012

All airlines have penalties for changes to a reservation. Its not Orbitz, it the Airlines - every one have them have fees upon fees to make changes. Dont shoot the messenger (Orbitz)!

Orbitz

Apr 16, 2012

Hi,

My name is Shalon, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. I saw your comments and would like to see if I can look into your concern. Please email me with your contact information, so I can further assist you. Our email address is socialnetwork@orbitz.com. Please enter my name in the subject line, and your blog name in your information.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Shalon
Orbitz Customer Relations
Chicago, IL

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Orbitz.
Filing a new complaint about
×